Sunday, September 2, 2012

Just a little something

Whenever I walk around in the dark, I think of those creepy TV shows. Not horror shows, because I never had the stomach for anything discusting, but one of those crime shows. Or maybe one of the sci-fi shows that I would sometimes see on the late night TV, when the aliens are the murderers. 
And so when I walked through my dark, quiet house in the middle of the night, scenes of creatures jumping out and scaring the life out of me flashed through my mind, as they always did. Different possibilities presented themselves. Whether I'd be ready to defend myself, how I would yell immediately to alert my family members.
But nothing attacked me, and I made it safely out of the house. In my back yard I had similar visions, however the openness seemed to make me a bit less frightened. My neighbor's back porch had a light that shone brightly, illuminating the shadows of my own yard. The woods at the edge of the property I was wary of, though, and I kept a long distance between me and the trees. 
Crickets chorused loudly, mixing with the shuffling of the bushes and the whispering of the trees. Shadows loomed ominously, seemingly longer than normal. The brightly lit moon put a glow on the whole yard. Everything sounded exaggerated. The lighting seemed theatrical. I stood for a moment and took in the eerie beauty of the nighttime. But then I heard movement behind me, a soft swishing in the wet grass, and I knew my time for daydreaming was over. I didn't bother to turn around and face him. He knew that I knew he was there.

********Just something I wrote the other day. I do that when I'm bored. Written with the characters from a story I am writing in mind, but has nothing really to do with the actual context of the story. Just a little something**********

No comments:

Post a Comment